? Building Department - Trent Hills

Municipal Services and Council

Building Department

Emilyville Inn, CampbellfordTrent River Bridge - Gwen KnapmanIsland Park Campbellford

This department has been structured to recognize the importance of proper building construction with regard to community economic development. Our goal is to provide efficient service in administering the Ontario Building Code and various municipal by-laws and programs. The staff of this department is committed to ensuring any construction proposal is dealt with in a fair, consistent and cost effective manner, and is willing to assist whenever possible.

The following activities are regulated through this department:

  • Building and Demolition Permits
  • Assisting with By-law enforcement
  • Zoning inquiries and enforcement
  • Septic System Permits
  • Property Standards
  • Pool Permits
  • Sign Permits
  • Fencing of Yards

When is a Building Permit required?
The Building Department has prepared an information package regarding the process for applying for a building permit:
A Homeowners Guide to Building Permits (pdf format)
You must obtain a building permit before you do any of the following, but not restricted to:

  • construct a new building
  • installation of a swimming pool
  • renovate, repair or add to a building
  • demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • change a building's use
  • install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
  • make new openings for, or change the size of, doors and windows
  • build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
  • build a building over 108 sq.ft. (10 sq.m.)
  • excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems.
  • install or modify heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and wood stoves
  • install or renovate plumbing
  • construct or reconstruct a chimney
  • to finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom

You do not require a Building Permit to:

  • replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
  • install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • build a building under 108 sq.ft. (10 sq.m.), but must conform to the zoning setbacks
  • reshingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
  • install eavestroughs, provided that drainage is contained on your property
  • damp-proof basements
  • paint or decorate, including interior finishes, but excluding insulation
  • reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing
  • erect a fence (swimming pools and outside hot tubs do require special permits)

Please Note: Permits are required from the Electrical Safety Authority for any electrical work.

Link to Building Permits & Fees for further regarding building permit application forms and fees.

If building near a water course / wetland, approvals may be required from one or more of the following authorities:
Lower Trent Conservation Authority, phone:  (613) 394-4829
Otonabee Conservation Authority, phone:  (705) 745-5791
Crowe Valley Conservation Authority, phone:  (613) 472-3137
Trent Severn Waterway, phone:  (705) 750-4900

The Simply Safer is Simply Smarter Kit is provided by the Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge Health Unit.  The Kit includes design and product ideas on how to build and renovate a home to ensure safety is a priority for all ages. Safety improvements for stairs, bathrooms, flooring and lighting are also listed, as well as rebate programs to help offset the costs of safety improvements.

For more information or assistance please contact:
Claude Sevigny, Chief Building Official
705-653-1900 ext. 242

For property standards/building department, please contact:
Kevin Fillier, Deputy Chief Building Official
705-653-1900 ext. 226

Susan Gordon, Administrative Assistant
705-653-1900 ext. 238