The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) has delegated the responsibility to issue specific types of lottery licences to municipalities. This includes bingos, raffles and break open tickets and special occasion gaming events with the following restrictions:
- bingo events, with prize boards of up to $5,500
- media bingo events with prizes up to $5,500
- break open tickets for local organizations
- raffle lotteries for total prizes of $50,000 and under
- paper based 50/50 draws
- bazaar lotteries which include: wheels of fortune with a maximum bet of $2, raffles not exceeding $500, and bingo events up to $500
Information on conducting and managing lottery events can be found in the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s Lottery Licensing Policy Manual. This manual provides an outline of the legal and policy framework and administrative procedures for lottery licensing purposes. A municipality is permitted to attach additional terms and conditions to a licence, provided that they do not conflict with provincial Terms and Conditions or policies.
All lotteries must be conducted and managed in accordance with licensing policies and the terms and conditions of the licences. This includes fulfilling all prescribed reporting requirements.